Guide to Services


HJF’s Immigration Department helps prospective and current employees obtain and renew employment through employer sponsored non-immigrant status.

A nonimmigrant status allows an applicant to enter and remain in the U.S. for a specified duration under the conditions set forth within that classification. Tourism, business and employment are common reasons to request a non-immigrant visa. A beneficiary can only be admitted into the U.S. under one type of nonimmigrant status at one time. Most nonimmigrant visas are issued only to those, who can demonstrate their intention to return to their home country.

The primary criteria for sponsorship for any employment sponsored non-immigrant status includes:

  • The position must require a special/complex skill set, advanced degree and relevant experience. The beneficiary requesting sponsorship must possess these requirements.
  • Reasonable recruiting efforts must be completed by the sponsoring employer to demonstrate that there is an absence of a similar skill set in the local labor market.
  • There must be a continued need and available funding for the position for the duration that the non-immigrant status is being requested for.

The burden of proof rests on the sponsoring employer and the above listed requirements must be met in order to pursue sponsorship.

HJF supports sponsorship for eligible non-immigrant status under the following categories:

H-1B Specialty Occupation

A “specialty occupation” is defined as “an occupation that requires (a) theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and (b) attainment of a higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.”

Details and How to Apply for an H1-B Visa

J-1 Exchange Visitor

The J-1 classification (Exchange visitors) is a collaborative exchange program, authorized for those who intend to participate in conducting research, or to receive graduate medical education or training. It is designed to promote the interchange or persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science. HJF is authorized to sponsor exchange visitors in J-1 status only as Research Scholars.

Details and How to Apply for a J-1 Visa

TN status (North American Free Trade Agreement- NAFTA)

The TN status is a special non-immigrant status that offers work authorization to citizens of Canada and Mexico. Requirements include that the prospective employee is a citizen of Canada, or Mexico; the profession is one cited under the NAFTA treaty; the prospective employee meets qualifications cited under the NAFTA treaty; a formal, written full-time or part-time offer of employment in the United States, has been extended, and the prospective employee has the appropriate qualifications to practice in the profession in question.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability

The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for individuals who possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, with a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement, and national or international recognition for those achievements.

Frequently Asked Questions about Visas