Guide to Services



Direct fund disbursements or reimbursements are intended for cases in which purchase orders or contracts are not feasible. The Fund Disbursement/Reimbursement Request form (HJF Form 334) should be used for:

  • Non-recurring services, supplies or equipment under $500
  • Communications equipment that is the responsibility of the individual (i.e., cell phones)
  • Subscriptions in HJF's name
  • Speaker Fees and service payments for Scientific Advisory Board members, etc. paid from a federal award

The following items should not be charged on the Fund Disbursement/Reimbursement Request form:

  • POV Milage (Use Oracle Expenses or Form 322)
  • Facility rent
  • Supplies or Equipment over $500
  • Subcontracts
  • Consultants
  • Payments to agencies for temporary personnel
  • Recurring payments for supplies or service contracts (i.e., lawn service, cleaning services, maintenance)
  • Meeting expenses such as payments to hotels and caterers
  • Cash awards to Foundation employees (use the Award Request form HJF Form 230)
  • Honorarium payments to guest speakers for non-federal grants and education funds or endowments; instead, use the Honorarium Request form (HJF Form 316)

The Fund Manager or PI must approve the use of funds from the account.

If a requisition, purchase order or contract for an item that costs less than $500 is not feasible, use the Fund Disbursement/Reimbursement Request form (HJF Form 334) and be sure to include an invoice. Indicate under "special instructions" that the check should be sent directly to the purchaser. The check can be taken to a vendor to purchase the item.

If the item costs more than $500 and has a useful life of longer than two years, do not use a reimbursement reques formt. Instead,enter a requisiton for the item through the Oracle EBS iProcurement. Please seek assistance from the Purchasing Department.

For additional information about reimbursements, contact the Accounts Payable Department.

Q: When are professional licenses an allowable expense on a sponsored project?

A: When a position requires a professional license (for example, RN) that person must have one to be hired. That expense is the employees unless the employer agrees to pay for it. Requiring a degree or license as a condition of hiring is not the same as agreeing to pay for its upkeep. If HJF agrees to pay for it as evidenced in the written employment offer, that expense would be something charged to a G&A pool, not the award.

There is a scenario where a license fee would be an allowable expense to an award, and that is when the work requires the person to carry an extra license above and beyond what is usually required for the position. If an employee has a MD RN license - that cost is on them - but due to the research they also need licenses in DC, VA, TX and CA - those are allowable costs as they are directly allocable to the award SOW and required to meet the research objectives. A reasonable person would not expect a RN to normally carry multiple state licenses.   

Q: Can the renewal of a Principal Investigator’s Annual membership to a professional organization is directly charged to one of their many research projects?

A: No. This is an inappropriate direct cost because it does not relate specifically and solely to this research project.

Q: What if membership renewal is paid for in conjunction with conference registration fees in order to obtain more cost-effective registration fee?

A: No. Although the total cost to the project is less than it would be if the membership was not purchased, the membership fees are not an allowable cost to the award. The government and auditors are not reviewing the award for cost savings, but rather for the applicability of the charge.


UG § 200.454 Memberships, subscriptions, and professional activity costs.

(a) Costs of the non-Federal entity's membership in business, technical, and professional organizations are allowable.

(b) Costs of the non-Federal entity's subscriptions to business, professional, and technical periodicals are allowable.

(c) Costs of membership in any civic or community organization are allowable with prior approval by the Federal awarding agency or pass-through entity.

Non-Federal entity means a state, local government, Indian tribe, institution of higher education (IHE), or nonprofit organization that carries out a Federal award as a recipient or subrecipient.