Guide to Services

Foreign Travel

Foreign travel charged to a federal program or contract may require prior written approval from the awarding agency. The HJF Office of Sponsored Programs (for grants) or the HJF Contracting Department (for contracts and DoD cooperative agreements) can assist in determining if advance approval is required. The Principal Investigator or Program Manager should consolidate these requests wherever possible. Foreign travel also may require overseas clearance for federal employees, or for HJF employees traveling for certain federal projects.

Use of Foreign-Based Carriers

The Fly America Act, 49 U.S.C. App.1517, as implemented in the Comptroller General’s guidelines, Decision B-138942, March 31, 1981, requires federal employees and their dependents, consultants, contractors, grantees and others undertaking United States Government-financed foreign air travel to travel via U.S. flag air carriers. This rule, however, does not apply to travel funded by a non-federal source.